Last updated: 15 May 2018
1. Octobase values your privacy and security and actively works to collect as little of your personal data and information as possible. Nonetheless, any company providing publicly available services on the internet will inevitably collect information about those who it interacts with or those who utilize its products and services through its normal business operations.
3. For the purposes of this section, Personal Information will be understood in accordance with the definition provided in the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 (“the Act”). Octobase also subscribes to the principles for electronically collecting personal information outlined in the Act, and the further legislation referred to therein. We endeavour to ensure the quality, accuracy and confidentiality of Personal Information in our possession.
5. Users will be prompted to provide their email address in order to subscribe to Octobase’s newsletter on https://octobase.co and/or https://octobase.io (collectively “the Website”) and additionally – if they should wish to make use of the products and services that will be offered via the Website, register an account. In so doing, users may be asked to provide the following information (Personal Information):
5.1. First name; and
5.2. Surname; and
5.3. Email; and
5.4. Age; and
5.5. Physical address; and
5.6. Phone number; and
5.7. National, ethnic or social origin; and
5.8. Bank account details and/or cryptocurrency wallet/contract address; and
5.9. Company / CC / LLC et al. registration number and/or other government issued identification/registration number
7. All payment information captured through the Website will be captured by third party payment providers and not by Octobase. As such, Octobase does not store your payment information.
8. We will not collect, use or disclose sensitive information (such as information about racial or ethnic origins or political or religious beliefs, where relevant) except with your specific consent or in the circumstances permitted by law.
9.1. The provision and performance of the products and services offered by Octobase, its subsidiaries, partners, and other 3rd party service providers;
9.2. Informing you of changes made to our website;
9.3. The provision of marketing related services to you by Octobase;
9.4. Responding to any queries or requests you may have;
9.5. Developing a more direct and substantial relationship with users for the purposes described in this clause;
9.6. Developing an online user profile;
9.7. Understanding general user trends and patterns so that we can develop and support existing and ongoing marketing strategies;
9.8. For security, administrative, compliance and legal purposes; and
9.9. The creation and development of market data profiles which may provide insight into market norms, practices and trends to help us improve our offering to you. Such information will be compiled and retained in aggregated form, but shall not be used in any way which may comprise the identity of a user.
10. Although absolute security cannot be guaranteed on the internet, Octobase has in place up-to-date, reasonable technical and organisational security measures to protect your Personal Information against accidental or intentional manipulation, loss, misuse, destruction or against unauthorised disclosure or access to the information we process online.
11. While we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any Personal Information you provide us, we will continue to maintain and improve these security measures over time in line with legal and technological developments.
12. We store your Personal Information directly, or alternatively, store your Personal Information on, and transfer your Personal Information to, a central database. If the location of the central database is located in a country that does not have substantially similar laws which provide for the protection of Personal Information, we will take the necessary steps to ensure that your Personal Information is adequately protected in that jurisdiction.
13. Your information will not be stored for longer than is necessary for the purposes described in these Terms or as required by applicable legislation.
14. The Personal Information Octobase collects from users shall only be accessed by Octobase employees, representatives and consultants on a need-to-know basis, and subject to reasonable confidentiality obligations binding such persons.
15. Octobase shall have the right, but shall not be obliged, to monitor or examine any information and materials including any website link that you publish or submit to Octobase for publishing on the Site or on any other public mediums which so allow for participation including social media. You shall be solely responsible for the contents of all material published by yourself.
17. Only where legally required and for company affiliates in order to operate in business. We will not use your e-mail address for unsolicited mail. Any emails sent by Octobase will only be in connection with the provision of our services and/or the marketing thereof.
18. On account of the inherent transparency of public blockchains, transactions that are broadcast via the Website may be publicly accessible. These transactions include, but are not limited to:
18.1. the public sending address;
18.2. the public receiving address;
18.3. the crypto currency amount sent; and
18.4. any and all other data which may be included in the transaction.
18.5. Information stored on a public blockchain may be public and immutable. Accordingly, transactions and addresses may in turn reveal information about you, which information may be correlated at any stage by a party who chooses to do so, including but not limited to law enforcement officers. In this regard, you are requested to review how privacy and transparency on the blockchain works.
19. When you visit the Website, even if you do not create an account, we may collect information, such as your IP address, the name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider), your browser, the website from which you visit us, the pages on our website that you visit and in what sequence, the date and length of your visit, and other information concerning your computer’s operating system, language settings, and broad demographic information. This information is aggregated and anonymous data and does not identify you specifically. However, you acknowledge that this data may be able to be used to identify you if it is aggregated with other Personal Information that you supply to us. This information is not shared with third parties and is used only within Octobase on a need-to-know basis. Any individually identifiable information related to this data will never be used in any way different to that stated above, without your explicit permission.
20.1. “Session cookies”: These are used to maintain a so-called ‘session state’ and only lasts for the duration of your use of the Website. A session cookie expires when you close your browser, or if you have not visited the server for a certain period of time. Session cookies are required for the Platform to function optimally, but are not used in any way to identify you personally.
20.2. “Permanent cookies”: These cookies permanently store a unique code on your computer or smart device hard drive in order to identify you as an individual user. No Personal Information is stored in permanent cookies. You can view permanent cookies by looking in the cookies directory of your browser installation. These permanent cookies are not required for the Octobase websites to work, but may enhance your browsing experience.
21.1. The Website and the services available may contain links to other third party websites, including (without limitation) social media platforms, payment gateways, appointment scheduling and/or live chat platforms (“Third Party Websites”). If you select a link to any Third Party Website, you may be subject to such Third Party Website’s terms and conditions and/or other policies, which are not under the control, nor responsibility, of Octobase.
21.2. Hyperlinks to Third Party Websites are provided “as is”, and Octobase does not necessarily agree with, edit or sponsor the content on Third Party Websites.
21.3. Octobase does not monitor or review the content of any Third Party Website. Opinions expressed or material appearing on such websites are not necessarily shared or endorsed by us and we should not be regarded as the publisher of such opinions or material. Please be aware that we are not responsible for the privacy practices, or content, of other websites, either.
21.4. Users should evaluate the security and trustworthiness of any Third Party Website before disclosing any personal information to them. Octobase does not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage in whatever manner, howsoever caused, resulting from your disclosure to third parties of personal information.
22.1. Octobase relies on social media as a means of communicating with its community and Users.
22.2. Although it is not Octobase’s policy to remove information and/or comments as placed on its a social media website, it reserves the right in its sole discretion to do so, should such information be, among others, false, infringing or misleading alternatively threatening, libelous, defamatory, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic, profane or spam, without any notification or warning having been issued.
22.3. Should any communications be removed from the a social media website for the reasons as set out in clause 22.2, Octobase reserves the right to preserve same offline as it may be required to do in law, without any notification to the author thereof.
23.1. Data Messages (as defined in the ECT Act) will be deemed to have been received by Octobase if and when Octobase responds to the Data Messages.
23.2. Data Messages sent by Octobase to a user will be deemed to have been received by such user in terms of the provisions specified in section 23(b) of the ECT Act.
23.3. Users acknowledge that electronic signatures, encryption and/or authentication are not required for valid electronic communications between users and Octobase.
23.4. Information to be provided in terms of section 43(1) of the ECT Act:
23.5. Users warrant that Data Messages sent to the Website from any electronic device, used by such user, from time to time or owned by such user, were sent and or authorised by such user, personally.
24.1. This Website is owned and operated by Octobase (Pty) Ltd, (Registration Number: 2017273692) a private company owned and operated in accordance with the laws of the Republic of South Africa.
24.2. Address for service of legal documents: 678 Klipbank st, Wingate Park, Pretoria , Gauteng, South Africa, 0153.
24.4.The Websites – are located at https://octobase.co and https://octobase.io respectively;
24.5. Email address: email@example.com;
24.6. Phone: +27110839548